Sunday, April 12, 2020

electric guitar: reclaimed neck series #1


This is the first of a new batch of solid-body electric guitars I'm planning to build. I have 4 or 5 abandoned bolt-on necks that I've collected over the years, some left behind at the guitar shop.
 I also have a large stack of locally salvaged ash wood cut down from the emerald ash-borer plague of a few years back here in the Twin Cities.


I start my designing based on the headstock of the neck I'm using and how I can alter the shape of it.


Once I've established a headstock design I like, I start drawing a body to go with it. 
In this case I added a large death-metal style point to the bottom of the head, so the body had to fit that theme.




The body is made of 3 pieces of ash, stained reddish and finished with water-based lacquer.


Here's a side view with the strat-style beveling.

The controls are Gibson-style (volume and tone for each pickup and a 3-way switch), but laid out in-line.

2 mystery humbuckers and a string-thru body surface-mount bridge.

The output jack is tucked in to this weird inside curve.

The nut is made of corian. It's a dense, non-porous countertop material which is a great substitute for bone nuts. I actually prefer using it to bone since bone is porous and can have hidden imperfections making it more susceptible to chipping.

I also have a nice collection of corian with different color patterns.

Well, since it's Easter, I felt I should hide an "easter egg" in this post. See if you can find it; I'll show it next week.




No comments:

Post a Comment