Sunday, May 17, 2020

mini guitars

 Here are two miniature guitars I've built. 
Each of them is playable and fully wired to plug into an amplifier.
 The larger one was commissioned by someone to give as a gift to two friends of his to celebrate their newborn son.
 It was really more of a gift to the dad who is an awesome guitar player. 
I based the design loosely on a Gibson SG with obvious alterations.
 It's got a salvaged P-bass pickup and a 4-string "cigar box guitar" bridge. 
There are working volume and tone controls, and no, the knobs don't match.
The body and neck are mahogany and the fingerboard is wenge. I'm fairly certain I used a 14" mandolin scale and tuned it DGBE one octave up from a guitar.

 All the inlay is pearloid. The T is the baby boy's initial.


The smaller guitar I made just for fun.

I had found some sort of make-up/jewelry box in the shape of a guitar case at a thrift store and decided to build the guitar that would fit into it.
 It is loosely based on a telecaster and has a tele neck pickup. The "bridge" is made of scrap bridge saddles and tuner base plates. It also has working volume and tone, as well as a mini switch and mini output jack.
 The body is 2-piece cherry with a walnut center stripe and a padouk front. 
I actually sprayed a lacquer finish so I could do an orange sunburst.
The neck is also cherry and even has a tele-style truss rod plug. 
There isn't really a truss rod though.
The pickguard and neck dots are orange swirl acrylic, and the binding is ivoroid.
Soon I am going to shift gears and start posting updates of my new current build. 
A friend of mine hired me to make a Tres Cubano for him after a recent trip to the island. I'll try to keep posting weekly and if there's a slow week in building progress, I'll post another older instrument. I still have plenty more of those to put up on the site.






No comments:

Post a Comment